Excellent and nurturing child care.
Our three children have been at Step by Step since each was about 5-6 months old. Our oldest, who is about to begin kindergarten soon, has been at Step by Step for almost 4.5 years now.
We highly recommend Step by Step. The primary caregivers are very nurturing, responsible, and caring. They love the kids and the kids love them. We love our daycare so much that we have seriously considered moving to the Sunset just to make the drop-off and pick-up easier and have had the caregivers babysit for our children on weekends.
We trust Margaret Vilk, who runs the daycare, so completely that she is like family. She is one of our first emergency contacts for our children, the first person we ask if we need a babysitter, and someone we ask for childcare advice.
Our daycare is pretty different from other home daycares because it has a preschool-style approach. For example, there is a weekly music class and a weekly dance class. They teach the alphabet, writing, counting, months, songs, etc. They do arts and crafts projects every week (painting, drawing, etc.) and for holidays. They have birthday parties for every child. I almost fell out of my chair when my then 2.5 year old daughter wrote her name. And my husband and I did not teach her!
Other things we love include:
- lunch and snacks provided for non-infants (need to bring breastmilk/ formula for infants)
- help with getting your kids into a nap routine
- large outdoor play area with climbing structure, slides, tricycles, scooters, etc.
- help with potty training (supportive of the child and parents' timeline)
- hours: 7 a.m. - 6 p.m. (though most parents usually don't begin dropping off until 8 a.m. or later, it's nice to know that you can go earlier if you need to)
- wide range of ages of children-- the youngest is a 9 month old and oldest just turned 5. The younger kids develop faster by learning from the older kids, and the older kids learn how to be leaders and gentle with younger children.
- the other families are great too (e.g., we had a potluck dinner at daycare, celebrate Halloween together every year, play dates on the weekend with other families, etc.)
- our kids picked up a little Russian, and though they don't speak it very much, they do understand a small amount and can sing a handful of songs in Russian!
- there is a separate sleeping room for the infants/ under two toddlers with individual cribs
- a past field trip includes a nearby pumpkin patch during Halloween.
Homely and Friendly Atmosphere. We just introdeced our 7.5 month old baby boy to Margaret's Day Care and it has been a wonderful experience so far! Margaret and her people take very good care of our little one and our baby loves them! The kids around are super cute and very interactive, the day care fosters sharing and learning at the same time. We brought our baby to this day care because we only heard good things about it from our friends who had both their kids with Margaret...and I have no qualms about our decision to send our baby here!!!
We're glad to welcome you into our small Step by Step community!
A second family for your child.
As a mother, there is no greater decision than who cares for your child. The worry, are they eating well? Are they being cared for properly? Are they clean? Do they have good instruction? Do they have enrichment activities? Most good daycares will have the basics. There is one other question that wasn't initially on the list, but knowing Margaret and the Step By Step staff it is now. That question now is, will my child be loved??
The staff cares for the children, beyond the basics. They are warm and tender and take the time to get to know and yes, even love each child. The little touches, and comforting smiles makes all the difference. Parents can leave their child every morning, worrying just a little bit less.
I could not recommend anyone more highly.
Thank you Elina!
You're so right talking about our love for the children in our care. That's because my staff and I think of them and take care of them as of our own kids.
Step by Step - Wow. to come into Step by Step is to be greeted by laughter, smiles, happy children and lots of activity. Are they learning a song, are they practicing a dance? are they being instructed in drawing and painting? are they playing the safe outdoor environment with toys and climb-throughs? or are they having a quiet nap? It is an amazing place, with a family atmosphere-yes a large family! The staff is thoroughly and intensely engaged in creating every day an interesting and exciting educational environment. Step-by-step is amazing!
Thank you for describing our days in such details!
San Francisco/Sunset best childcare & preschool.
If you ever wondered where in San Francisco you can find the best childcare & preschool for your child or grandchild, look no further because you have just found it!
Step By Step Childcare and Preschool provides the best environment for your child to grow. Margaret and her staff apply a combination of well-proven decades-long experience in working with children in the areas of child care, education and development and the latest academic research in that area. Step By Step Childcare & Preschool makes sure that the children have warm, caring and safe environment to play and learn . Step By Step Childcare & Preschool provides an educational and developmental setting with emphasis on language and math skills development, development of a child's general knowledge as it is age-appropriate as well as appropriate social skills development, music and dance lessons and arts classes.
You cannot find a better setting for your child to grow in a healthy, happy, and more academically and developmentally supportive place than Step By Step Childcare & Preschool.
Thank you Liliya! Your opinion is very important to me!
Can't Say Enough!. We can't say enough good things about Margaret and her team at Step by Step! They have such a warm and loving environment, I never had any qualms about dropping my son off each morning. The favorite part of my day quickly became picking him up and discovering all the new things he learned on the car ride home. His verbal abilities really skyrocketed, and Margaret was always wonderful about providing updates and working with us as different milestones approached. Margaret has created a wonderful community at Step by Step and it has been a real privilege to be part of it!
Thank you Patty, and I must say it's been a privilege to know you!
Care, education, social skills & FUN!.
This well-located Sunset district daycare, near West Portal and Parkside neighborhoods, has been a god-send to our family. Our bright, hilarious and affectionate children have attended Step by Step since 2007.
* Loving, attentive staff and director.
* Intelligently scheduled activities, meals and naps.
* Lots of reading, arts & crafts and generous play.
* Music and dance programs.
* Manners and sharing calmly and positively reinforced.
* Separate room and individual cots for children.
* Sunny, organized play area.
* Very limited television viewing.
* Great co-operative spirit and comradery among parents.
* Mini "United Nations" type diversity; lots of languages and cultures represented.
* Excellent communication from Step by Step director.
If you would like to speak with me directly for a reference, have Margaret give you my phone number.
Dear Lori, thank you for all nice things said above, and thank you for your trust and friendship.
Margaret provides a warm and caring atmosphere for the kids. The meals they get are nutritious and home cooked. they get to learn, sing and dance, play and put on performances for parents during events like graduation.
Kids are happy to go there.
And when kids are happy we're happy!
Our extended family. We have only the best to say about Margaret and Step by Step Child Care. We've sent both of our boys to Step by Step, and would recommend it to any family without reservation. Margaret is like our extended family, providing a very nurturing and welcoming environment, while keeping the children busy and learning all of the pre-school basics. The children also really enjoy the special music and dance classes, and we absolutely love the performances as a result.
Please don't forget to join us on the 12th of August for the new performance. And again, thank you for being with us!
Sign in with Facebook Sign in with Facebook to see what your friends are up to!